Building the EH Limo
It all started when the three of us were having a social drink after doing a wedding in our own cars for a friend. We had a vision or two and a sketch was drawn on a drink coaster with secondary and clearer plans drawn on a napkin. Then we bought the number plates EHLIMO. We went to the engineer for our first consultation with the napkin, the EHLIMO number plates and a drawing by Jonathan's then 4 year old son
All three cars were found in the Trading Post. The front section is an EH auto Wagon that the owner will be shocked to see now. The rear half and the interior is from a EH Premier we pulled out of a barn. Quite a bit of the mechanicals came from a VK Commodore Berlina
With a 1400mm stretch in the middle, the side panels are new fabricated as is the new floor and the complete new full length sills. It was a lot of work, trial fitting, welding, nutting out how panels will fit and integrate together to give a true original 1964 limousine looking body like it was built from factory. It all goes back to using real panel beating skills.
There is a 25x50mm chassis running hidden underneath. The roof has 25mm RHS reinforcing hidden and pillars have been seam welded. The roof also holds a huge electric sunroof also. The front subframe has been seam welded to the bodyshell creating a unibody construction, along with chassis strengthening plates running into the new chassis. All the chassis work was done by ‘eye’ engineering.
You can see by the following pictures some of the intense work that was undertaken to create this vehicle, from the strength in the body work, the detail to the quality and finish and not forgetting the huge amount of work in putting it back together.